Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Thrillers, Fillers, and Spillers

Be prepared, there are lots of pictures in this post! Personally, I love seeing at least one picture per post anyway, so I included several in this one.

We had a pretty relaxing weekend. Haley's birthday party was Saturday, and that was pretty fun but long! I now know when we have kids that I will pick up my children promptly at the party ending time. They party was over at four, and some of the parents stayed around talking until about five! We were ready for them to go! Here are a couple of my faves from the party:


The Birthday Girl!

Apparently, Ian felt the need to steal a couple of drinks. This is one of my favorite pictures of him ever!

After the party on Saturday, we had our favorite houseguest, Chris, over for dinner. Interestingly enough, he is probably our most frequent visitor, even though he lives three hours away. Nobody wants to hang out with us except for him! :) We had wine, cigars, and conversation on our back porch...



Not the best picture of me that's ever been taken, but the ones of Ry and Chris are pretty cute!

Most of what I did for the rest of the weekend involved planting flowers. I planted flowers in our flowerbeds as well as flowers in the pots. For those of you who have asked before, I plant the pots based on the "thriller, filler, spiller" concept. Basically, you plant a "thriller" (something that's kind of tall) in the middle, "fillers" (colorful stuff that takes up room) around the filler, and a couple of "spillers" (something that trails down the side of the pot). Here are the pots I planted this year:


Thriller: Purple Reed Grass, Fillers: Coleus, New Guinea Impatiens, Regular Impatiens, Dianthus, Spillers: Ivy

Thriller: Purple Reed Grass, Fillers: Coleus, Impatiens, Double Impatiens, Purple Salvia, Spillers: Vinca Vines

Thriller: Majesty Palm, Fillers: Coleus, Double Impatiens, Impatiens, Spillers: Ivy

Thriller: Mexican Petunia, Fillers: New Guinea Impatien, Petunias, Million Bells, Salvia, Spiller: Ivy

Thriller: Hibiscus, Fillers: Petunias, Million Bells, Heather, Salvia, Verbena, Dianthus, Spillers: Sweet Potato Vines

I've already said this once, but I will say it again: I LOVE making these! It's fun to me. It gets a little expensive, but they last all summer long (with constant watering) and make the deck a peaceful place to have dinner or just sit and relax! See....


Okay, off to our bike ride. Also on the agenda for tonight...the season premiere of The Little Couple. Thank goodness for TLC this summer because there is nothing else on TV! My DVR doesn't know what to do with itself.

No comments: