Saturday, May 2, 2009

Saturday Mornings

So, this is my first post! It feels a little weird writing like this, knowing that the main purpose is for other people to read it; however, I'm already really liking it. This should be good.

I know the name of the blog may sound a little corny, but I don't care! When trying to think of blog names, all I could think of were things that involved love and family. I can't name it anything child-related yet, so I'm happy to go the love route at this point. I really am so in love with my husband, and I have so much love for my family. Of course there's also Reese, who I love like a child. As I am writing this he's standing on my stomach, licking my typing hands.

Now on to daily blog-type information. Of course, it's Saturday morning. Usually on Saturdays, Ry and I sleep in until about 9-ish, and once we're up, we're doing inside and outside housecleaning. This morning, I woke up on my own at 7am because I could barely breathe with all of the snot that was in my nose, throat, and what feels like my brain (sorry for the gross factor, but it's true). I think it's also partially related to nervousness about my doctor's appointment this morning. Yes--an appointment on a Saturday! Everything is all about cycle days, and cycle days don't just happen on weekdays.

Backing up a step, I guess I should explain the basic info in terms of what's going on with us "fertility-wise" right now. Ry and I have been trying to make a mini-J since about 7/08. In 12/08, I found out from the gyno that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), which makes it much harder to bet pregnant based on random or lack of ovulation. For further details you can read about it here. The gyno put me on a medication that was supposed to help with the ovulation issue, but it didn't end up doing much. Earlier this month, we decided that it would be a good idea to see a doctor that specializes in infertility to make sure that there's nothing wrong with Ry in terms of fertility and that there were no additional issues with me that needed addressing. We decided to go with the New Hope Center and are SO happy with the way things are working there.

There are NO problems with Ryan, thank goodness. So at this point, it's all about me--which usually I like, but in this way, not so exciting. My problems are all ovary/ovulation related. I took Clomid for five days and had an ultrasound on Thursday to check how the follicles in my ovaries were looking. Basically, they need to measure the size of the follicles to see that at least one of them is getting bigger, becoming dominant. To be considered mature and ready for ovulation, the follicle has to be approx 20mm. On Thursday, my largest was 9mm. The doctor gave me an injectable medication called a Gonal F Pen that is supposed to make the follicles grow, grow, grow! So, the appointment this morning is for an ultrasound to check the follicle sizes. I am praying that they grew. PS--giving myself a shot with the Pen was interesting yesterday. I had to stick myself twice yesterday because I messed up the first time. If I have to continue it over the weekend, Ry will be taking care of all future injections.

I am really, really hoping for some follicle growth. It really is disappointing to hear the doctor say, "Sweetie, the medication didn't do much for you. Your follicles didn't grow too well." It's a double-edged sword, too, because on one side, we're thinking about the money that's being spent here. If I don't become pregnant this month, we will have to pay for another month of treatment, which could cost up to about $2500. On the other side of the sword, we really want a little J that's not a dog. We want to be young-er parents. People might think that we should have waited a little longer before going to the NHC, but I don't feel that way at all. We are doing what we need to do to get what we want. It sounds weird said in that way, but we have to have assistance to have a child. Sure, we could poke and hope for the next few years and we might end up with a baby, but that's not the way I roll. It's amazing what a true miracle pregnancy is.

I guess that will be about it for now. I am hungry and need to get myself together to get to the NHC at 9.20. I know this was long, but it was largely about explanation. Stay tuned for updates about the follicles!

No comments: