Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Watermelon Granita

Parker and I had a great day today!  We started the day off right by going to Trader Joes this morning!  I love that store.  I could spend hours in there looking at all of the different food they sell.  All in all, I think we were probably in there an hour.  I needed a few of my "freezer staples" as well as a few "pantry staples."  I also got a few new things to try, so I am excited about those.

When we got home, I laid Parker down for a nap and did some pantry/cabinet reorganization.  This is very exciting to me because I feel like our pantry is always a mess and SO FULL.  I moved a few things to cabinets nearby and it seems to have helped a little.  We'll see how long it can stay as neat as it is now....

After Parker woke up, I feel like all I did was cook and wash dishes for the rest of the day!  I started off by making our lunch, which was simple and normal but still required some "cooking" and then dishwashing.  After this, I made macaroni salad, a corn casserole,  beef tacos, and watermelon granita.  I have found myself cooking a lot more lately since I've been working two days a week.  My new love, Pinterest, enables this activity because I am finding so many new recipes to try!  I keep saying to different people that I can see why there are a lot of people that don't even want to deal with cooking because of the mess it makes--there are always SO MANY dishes when you cook.  I guess it's the price you pay for good food!

Anyway, like I said, one of the things I made was the watermelon granita from Pioneer Woman.  It is SO GOOD!  It was so super easy to make, too.  I just had to throw some watermelon, lime juice and sugar in my seriously super crappy blender and then stick the juice in the freezer.  It's a very refreshing treat that I am sure I will make again soon.  Parker tried the granita and was not too crazy about it, but he sure does love to eat watermelon!



He does pretty good with keeping away from the rind--most of the time.



Sharing with Momma.  He was very intense about it, as you can see.
"Eat the watermelon NOW, Mom!"


PS--Don't you love the crazy beach hair?  We went to the bay this evening again, and it was wonderful.  The water was so calm and warm.  He is so fearless when it comes to the water and waves--it makes me very happy!  

Side note:  I am sad that there is less and less daylight in each day--having to use the camera flash to avoid blurry pictures=no fun.  Natural light (not the beer, but actual natural light) is the best!

No comments: