Monday, January 17, 2011

First Steps

Nothing major happening now...but it's about to. Over the last few days, Parker has been doing a lot of standing, balancing, taking a step-and-a-half or two and then falling down. As in...taking his "first steps." This is something that we've been working on and encouraging, for sure, but it's bittersweet. When he does it, I get super excited and then immediately think, "o.m.g.--I can't believe this is happening. Stop it! you are supposed to stay a baby forever."

I know, I know. He won't be a baby forever. They grow so fast...can't believe it's almost been a year...he'll be graduating before I know it.....yeah. I am well aware of all of these facts. I don't like talking about it or hearing about it, but it's one of those things that's inescapable when you have a baby. It's all that people want to say to you! I think about Parker growing up a lot. Not as much as I did right when he was born but definitely a lot.

I want to be able to rock him and hold him and protect him forever like I can now. I want him to be innocent and sweet forever like he is now. I want the bond between us to stay as strong as it is now. I want him to laugh at us forever like he does now. I want him to want to be with us forever like he does now.

You know, because in the exact moment an almost one-year-old starts walking, all of those things change. Isn't that how it works? No? Oh, I had no idea. Walk on, son!

I try not to think about this stuff too much because it does get me a little teary-eyed. I've been better lately about it because I am looking forward to every stage in my little boy's life. It's not a sad thing that he'll be walking--it's the crossing of a very important developmental milestone! (These are the things I repeat to myself when the tears creep up--haha!)

Alright, let's be real--at this point, the emotions are getting a little too deep for a post about Parker's first steps. Let's just leave it at this--Parker will be full-on walking VERY soon. I think I'm ready. (?)

No comments: